The choice is yours. Do you want to live, work, and play in a rural community? Come and join our dynamic team at Dr. Helmcken Memorial Hospital and demonstrate your impressive abilities as a Cook. Apply today!
Located 134 kilometers north of Kamloops in south central British Columbia, the friendly town of Clearwater has grown significantly over the past two decades. Clearwater’s economy is primarily based in forestry with tourism becoming increasingly important. The varied beauty and natural resources of the Clearwater and nearby Wells Gray Provincial Park area provide a rich arena for outdoor activities in all seasons including hiking, river rafting, fishing, hunting, golf, swimming, horseback riding, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, dog sledding, snowmobiling and much more. Clearwater boasts a moderate climate with warm summers and cold winters.
Welcome to the care team of Dr. Helmcken Memorial Hospital (DHH), Forest View Place, and Clearwater Heath Site. It is a new and unique facility that is truly a community service centre. Services provided are: Acute Care (6 beds and one birthing suite), 24-hour Emergency, Residential Care (19 multi-level beds, one respite, and one palliative), and Community Health (Public Health, Home Support, Home Care, and Environmental Health and Protection).
As Cook you will perform duties related to the preparation and cooking of food items; portioning and serving food, washing and cleaning kitchen equipment, utensils and designated cooking/work stations. As the Cook you will also be responsible for the following:
• Prepare assigned food items by following established menus, recipes and quantity quotas, determining ingredients and quantities required and assembling ingredients and equipment required for cooking.
• Planning, preparation and cooking to a schedule, to minimize time between completion of cooking and serving.
• Prepare, cook and serve food items for special functions as designated.
• Control portioning of food items to ensure recipe yield meets assigned quantity quotas.
• Maintain established food rotations in storage in order to minimize spoilage and waste.
• Clean cooking area and equipment, including pots and pans.
• Is responsible for securing kitchen area at end of shift.
• Assign tasks to designated food service workers and provides related training and orientation.
• Delivers food items from storage areas to work areas; removes food items from packaging, cans and/or freezer; labels, packages and transfers food items to freezer storage.
• Check returned diet trays for items not consumed and makes substitutions according to therapeutic diet.
• Check patient meal trays against patient menus to ensure accuracy of food and beverage items. Remove inappropriate items and/or replaces as per patient menu.
This is a Casual opportunity. Casual means there are no guaranteed hours and work requirements can vary from 0 - 37.5 hrs/week. This position will be scheduled to rotate days and evenings (from 13:00-19:00).